October 17-25, 2013 - 9 Nights Of Horror, Sci-Fi, Action & Cult Movies!
AWARD WINNERS Announced for Toronto After Dark 2013! Zombie film BATTERY, fly revenge EEGA Win Big!
NOVEMBER 1, 2013: Toronto After Dark Film Festival is thrilled to announce the Award Winners of its 8th Annual Edition. As is tradition at Toronto After Dark, the Jury were the fans themselves with over 4,200 votes cast this year by festival-goers to determine the best new horror, sci-fi, action and cult movies from the around the world!
Post-apocalyptic indie zombie road trip movie THE BATTERY may have had a small budget but it won audiences over big time at Toronto After Dark 2013 to win the festival’s Top Prize, the Audience Choice Award for Best Feature Film, GOLD. SILVER went to the suspenseful island-set thriller SOLO , while terrifying CIA mind control horror BANSHEE CHAPTER nabbed the BRONZE.
In the Specialty Categories, THE BATTERY also scored wins for BEST SCREENPLAY, BEST MUSIC and BEST POSTER. But the biggest specialty winner was Indian housefly revenge movie EEGA which was left buzzing after winning a festival record 9 Awards from fans including BEST ACTION, BEST COMEDY and MOST ORIGINAL FILM. Jim Mickle’s Sundance and Cannes-selected cannibal family horror drama WE ARE WHAT WE ARE also received four high profile specialty awards from fans including BEST DIRECTOR and BEST HORROR FILM while BEST SCI-FI FILM went to the stylish android thriller THE MACHINE.
With a wide range of genre programming and audience tastes, Toronto After Dark fans also bestowed awards to a number of other films in different specialty categories screening at the festival including Feature Films, Short Films and the specially created 8th Anniversary Festival Bumpers.
Scroll on for the complete list of award-winners from Toronto After Dark 2013:
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARDS, BEST FEATURE FILM
FEATURE FILM - SPECIALTY CATEGORY AWARD WINNERS
BEST ACTION FILM
MOST ORIGINAL FILM
BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS
BEST FIGHT (Fly/Nami vs Sudeep throughout the Film)
BEST FILM TO WATCH WITH A CROWD
BEST VILLAIN (Sudeep)
BEST HERO (The Fly/ Nani)
WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
BEST DIRECTOR (Jim Mickle)
BEST HORROR FILM
BEST KILL (The Final Family Feast - Please don’t spoil It!)
BEST SCREENPLAY (Jeremy Gardner)
BEST MUSIC (Various Artists)
BEST SCI-FI FILM
BEST LEADING ACTRESS (Caity Lotz)
BEST LEADING ACTOR (Anton Yelchin)
MOST LIKE TO SEE A SEQUEL TO
BEST MONSTER/CREATURE (The Mold)
BEST LINE OF DIALOGUE (“The Mold knows Jack, the Mold knows.”)
BEST TITLE SEQUENCE
BEST CANADIAN FEATURE FILM
BIG BAD WOLVES
BEST ENSEMBLE CAST
BIG ASS SPIDER!
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARDS, BEST CANADIAN SHORT FILM
1. GOLD: REMEMBER ME Directed by Jean-Francois Asselin
2. SILVER: THE LAMP Directed by Trevor Juras
3. BRONZE: KIN Directed by Ben & Seb McKinnon
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARDS, BEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM
1. GOLD: C (299, 792KM PER SECOND) Directed by Derek Van Gorder
2. SILVER: ROPE A DOPE Directed by Eric Jacobus
3. BRONZE: SEQUENCE Directed by Carles Torrens
FANS CHOICE AWARDS FOR BEST FESTIVAL BUMPER:
1. GOLD: 8AM OR IS IT 7AM RANSOM by Ryan Levin
2. SILVER: 8 YEARS SINCE YOU LAST PLAYED MY MOVIE RANT by Uwe Boll
3. BRONZE: THINGS WE MISS ABOUT TORONTO AFTER DARK by Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead (aka The Resolution Guys)
Congratulations to all the winners and thank you to all the fans that voted!
How the Winners Were Determined from over 4,200 Votes Cast
1. Audience Awards, Feature Films - Determined by over 4,000 Audience Votes Collected at Feature Film Screenings
2. Audience Awards, Canadian Shorts - Determined by a representative Poll of over 100 Festival All-Access Pass Buyers
3. Audience Awards, International Shorts - Determined by Audience Votes Collected from over 200 fans attending Shorts After Dark Screening
4. Specialty Categories including Fans Choice Awards for Bumpers- Determined by a representative Poll of over 100 Festival All-Access Pass Buyers
Filmmakers: Feel Free to use the following Award Winner Graphic on your own Pages & Promotional Materials: